Claritin is used in order to relieve allergy symptoms from hay fever as well as others. The symptoms of allergies include runny nose, itchy eyes, and sneezing. Claritin can also be used in order to treat redness and itching that is due to hives. Regardless, the medication is not able to prevent allergic reactions such as hives.
Claritin is a type of medication known as an antihistamine. It works by preventing the functioning of histamine which is a substance that causes symptoms of allergies. The ingredients in the medication can also be found in pseudoephedrine of Sudafed.
How Should Claritin be used?
Claritin is typically taken each day and can be consumed with or without a meal. Make sure that the directions are followed closely. The medication should not be taken if the hives are blistered and bruised, are off-color, or do not itch. Make sure to contact the doctor if the hives have these characteristics.
You should cease taking the medication and call the physician if the hives have not improved after three days or the hives have lasted for a period longer than 6 weeks. If symptoms such as difficulties in speaking and swallowing, swelling around the mouth, drooling, wheezing, or loss of consciousness occur, emergency aid should be found immediately. These could be symptoms of a serious allergic condition known as anaphylaxis. If this is determined to be the case, it is possible that the doctor will prescribe an EpiPen.
Before you take Claritin, you should:
• Inform your pharmacist and doctor if you have an allergy to Claritin or any other drugs that have ingredients that are similar to Claritin. You should always check the package for the ingredient list.
• Inform you pharmacist and doctor what medications, prescriptions, nutritional supplements, vitamins, and herbs you are currently taking.
• Inform your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or asthma.
• Inform your doctor is you are breast-feeding, pregnant, or plan to conceive.
• You should not take the medication if you have phenylketonuria (PKU).
Claritin has been known to cause some side effects. Inform your physician if you are experiencing:
• Dry mouth
• Mouth sores
• Sore throat
• Problems sleeping
• Stomach pain
• Itchy or red eyes
Some side effects have been known to be quite serious and a doctor should be contacted immediately. These include:
• Problems with swallowing or breathing
It's already activated!